Carbon Day Sustainability Practices and Policies
· 100% recycled paper is used in the office environment. There is are-use paper policy in place. Printing on the back of a used sheet of paper is highly encouraged for all non-official internal documents.
· We keep our printed marketing materials to a minimum, and instead focus on online media. When necessary our marketing materials are printed locally on recycled paper at a 100% wind powered facility that uses vegetable-based inks.
· We purchase our office products locally and from companies whose practices we can support with good conscience.
· There is a compost bin on location and it is a requirement that employees compost all items that are able to be composted.
· Multiple recycling bins are located in the office for co-mingled glass, plastics and metal as well as paper and cardboard.
· All of our shipping is done in reused or post-consumer waste boxes, with minimal packaging materials.
· We use primarily non-toxic cleaning supplies.
· Most of our employees are provided with laptops instead of desktop computers to conserve energy.
· Our office has passive solar lighting and heating. When we need to provide ourselves with a little artificial light, we use CFL’s.
· Our office is centrally located in downtown Chicago allowing our staff walking access to restaurants and businesses thus limiting the need for driving during the day.
· We recognize that our commitment to our community is a commitment to the environment. We dedicate time for community action and involvement that is often a contribution to the environment as well.
· We encourage biking to work and over half of our staff bikes to work on a regular basis. We also allow employees to use their lunchtime for a good bike ride if desired. We have community bikes that are available to all Carbonday employees.
· We allow employees to work at home at times.